One of my nerdiest hobbies is researching and grappling with the extent to which a human can comprehend the universe. I'm not a blind optimist, but I am an optimist. I'm also realistic, but acknowledge that attempting to apply absolute realism to an existence that no one can truly understand may not be wholly "realistic." In short, I'm a hopeful agnostic. So maybe keep that in mind while I present my viewpoints regarding your existence...
Scientists recently agreed upon compelling evidence to back the theory that the universe began at a finite point in time. Previously, the scientific thought operated on the notion of an infinite universe. So this new understanding left atheists in an awkward position to "slap" together the "Big Bang." Which, after many rudimentary refinements, I believe has come to be quite gripping. That still leaves the obvious question of how did hydrogen and all the laws of energy come to be from nothing?
The current research also suggests an open universe rather than a closed one. In fact, they've almost completely ruled out the possibility of a closed universe.
Anyways, time for videos. I have two that fit in with my current explorations: a little emotional provocation, followed by an explanation of our current scientific understandings of the universe (it is fascinating, however I think they jump to too many conclusions while discounting the possibilities for evolution on an even grander scale).
_______________________________________
"Big Bang":
So my only problem with this clip is that they ignore the possibilities of alternate applications of the theory of evolution. Also, the consequences of it. I think that our standout abilities (like abstract thinking) to discern the laws of the far-reaching universe, can be explained as a byproduct of evolution. I mean, I'm just never one to jump at mere details (that can almost always be explained by evolution) in an already incomprehensible existence to prove there's some higher intelligence. Because if you want some unexplained miracles to point to a deity, just turn to the basic indefinable logic of how anything came from nothing.
But yes, I definitely err on the side of evolutionary theory. There will always be byproducts trailing after the evolution of complex organisms, especially over such an extraordinary length of time. One of these could be our sentience. Higher math could have helped humans build architecturally sound shelters. These math skills can then be applied to exploring the mathematical properties of the universe. Although I do agree that the universe itself being "discover-able" is interesting.
In addition, using this same theory, maybe adjusting the relative laws of gravity would not permit life as we know it, but if existence of any kind persisted, it would adapt to whatever laws happened to be. For instance, something that thrived in any alteration of any laws of the ones we know would develop and come to be. Maybe universes wouldn't exist, but something quite incomprehensible to our own world's logic potentially could. Maybe we'd have a place with different "logic". In fact, by definition, we would.
In that way, this video is slightly biased to lead you to the conclusion of a higher being. I just don't like when material tries to "guide" you in any one direction through omissions or shortsightedness. Otherwise, I think it's pretty well done.
