Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Anywhere You Want to Be



    “I asked, ‘You mean, you might as well spend your life going upward, through the happy places, since heaven and hell-the destinations-are the same thing anyway?’
    ‘Same-same,’ he said. ‘Same in end, so better to be happy on journey.’
    I said, ‘So if heaven is love, then hell is…’
    ‘Love, too,’ he said. I sat with that one for awhile, trying to make the math work. Ketut laughed again, slapped my knee affectionately with his hand.
    ‘Always so difficult for young person to understand this!’”
-Elizabeth Gilbert
________________________________________

    I was reading this passage today, thinking I understood it in my own way. The concept might seem deceptive and counter-intuitive, like Elizabeth believes it to be in the book, but somehow it struck something in me.
    I interpret it in two ways actually. First, that while love is associated with positive conceptual symbol such as heaven, it also carries its counterpart: hell. The object of love generally becomes infinitely more fragile. It’s reminiscent of that E.E. Cummings poem, “i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)."Perhaps the argument is that it’s hell to care so deeply for a person because it elicits an inconvenient ferocity.
    The second way I understand this passage is that heaven and hell really are the same thing. Your mind is where you live. Two people can exist in similar scenarios, feeling euphoric or tortured. Your mind is your ultimate dwelling place.